Back to Course
Standards of Practice
Standard 1: Family Centered Approaches3 Topics
Standard 2: Family Support, Education and Referrals6 Topics
Standard 3: Encourage Family Connection through Child-Led Play4 Topics
Standard 4: Cultural Competency and Cultural Safety5 Topics
Standard 5: Professional and Ethical Conduct5 Topics
Standard 6: Early Learning and Play-Based Programming3 Topics
Standard 7: Evaluation & Quality Improvement4 Topics
Standard 8: Design, Function, Safety and Hygiene of Physical Environment7 Topics
Standard 9: Partnerships and Collaboration5 Topics
Standard 10: Governance4 Topics
Standard 11: Planning, Administration and Information Management5 Topics
Standard 12: Finance and Risk Management5 Topics
Standard 13: Human Resources5 Topics
Lesson 4, Topic 3
4.3 Knowledge of Indigenous Cultural Oppression
FRP staff have knowledge of the historical and ongoing impacts of colonization on Indigenous communities.
Benchmark Quality Indicators
- Staff are aware of the unique historical and contemporary contexts of family and community life and the influence of these contexts on their relationships with organizations, agencies, and institutions.
- Staff are provided opportunities to discuss their individual and collective role in Indigenous reconciliation and to learn about historical and continuing impacts of colonization, including but not limited to The Indian Act, Indian residential school system, Sixties Scoop, and Indian Hospitals.
- FRP includes appropriate acknowledgement of Indigenous territory where the FRP is located (e.g., posted in space or acknowledged in another way).
Innovation and Promising Practices
- Staff understand how cultural contexts of Indigenous families and communities affect the development of self-esteem, self-confidence, self identity, and cultural identity. Staff considers the implications of these factors on the emotional development and cultural identity of the children.
- FRP develops a statement of Indigenous reconciliation.
- Staff have access to trauma informed practice training.