Back to Course
Standards of Practice
Standard 1: Family Centered Approaches3 Topics
Standard 2: Family Support, Education and Referrals6 Topics
Standard 3: Encourage Family Connection through Child-Led Play4 Topics
Standard 4: Cultural Competency and Cultural Safety5 Topics
Standard 5: Professional and Ethical Conduct5 Topics
Standard 6: Early Learning and Play-Based Programming3 Topics
Standard 7: Evaluation & Quality Improvement4 Topics
Standard 8: Design, Function, Safety and Hygiene of Physical Environment7 Topics
Standard 9: Partnerships and Collaboration5 Topics
Standard 10: Governance4 Topics
Standard 11: Planning, Administration and Information Management5 Topics
Standard 12: Finance and Risk Management5 Topics
Standard 13: Human Resources5 Topics
Lesson 4, Topic 1
4.1 Culturally Safe Programming
FRP practices show respect for culture and identity. This includes cultural awareness, cultural sensitivity and cultural competence.
Benchmark Quality Indicators
- FRP is reflective of the cultural diversity of the community. This may include activities, resources and supplies that reflect a culturally competent reflection of participants, including from local Indigenous communities.
- FRP offers opportunities for participants to share with children and other parents their values, beliefs, and/or traditions (e.g., related to mealtimes, sleep, roles and responsibilities in childcaring, discipline and other cultural traditions).
- Staff have access to training in providing culturally appropriate programming, including in areas such as FASD prevention.
Innovation and Promising Practices
- FRP has a Cultural Competency Policy.
- FRP is inclusive of all family dynamics including single parents, fathers, cultural diversity, socio-economic diversity, sexual orientation of participants, Indigenous families and new Canadian families.
- FRP has a Strategic Plan for the agency that includes a cultural component.
- The FRP supports opportunities for families to lead discussions, workshops and conversations that reflect traditional values, beliefs and experiences that promote holistically healthy children.