Back to Course
Standards of Practice
Standard 1: Family Centered Approaches3 Topics
Standard 2: Family Support, Education and Referrals6 Topics
Standard 3: Encourage Family Connection through Child-Led Play4 Topics
Standard 4: Cultural Competency and Cultural Safety5 Topics
Standard 5: Professional and Ethical Conduct5 Topics
Standard 6: Early Learning and Play-Based Programming3 Topics
Standard 7: Evaluation & Quality Improvement4 Topics
Standard 8: Design, Function, Safety and Hygiene of Physical Environment7 Topics
Standard 9: Partnerships and Collaboration5 Topics
Standard 10: Governance4 Topics
Standard 11: Planning, Administration and Information Management5 Topics
Standard 12: Finance and Risk Management5 Topics
Standard 13: Human Resources5 Topics
Lesson 3, Topic 2
3.2 Engaging with Children
FRP staff model effective ways to engage with children and encourage parent/child interaction.
Benchmark Quality Indicators
- Staff model effective ways to engage with children by employing warmth, acceptance, negotiation and appropriate limit setting.
- A consistent routine is followed.
- FRP offers a variety of activities in which parents interact with their children (e.g., craft and creative activities involving parent and child, circle time songs, stories, etc.).
Innovation and Promising Practices
- Relationships between staff and families are promoted and supported by parent involvement.
- Staff act as coaches and mentors to parents.
- Staff design programming that assists parents to gain parenting techniques and strategies through successful interactions with their children.
- The temperament and abilities of the children participating are considered in the planning.