Lesson 3, Section 2
3.2 Engaging with Children
FRP staff model effective ways to engage with children and encourage parent/child interaction.
Benchmark Quality Indicators
- Staff model effective ways to engage with children by employing warmth, acceptance, negotiation and appropriate limit setting.
- A consistent routine is followed.
- FRP offers a variety of activities in which parents interact with their children (e.g., craft and creative activities involving parent and child, circle time songs, stories, etc.).
Innovation and Promising Practices
- Relationships between staff and families are promoted and supported by parent involvement.
- Staff act as coaches and mentors to parents.
- Staff design programming that assists parents to gain parenting techniques and strategies through successful interactions with their children.
- The temperament and abilities of the children participating are considered in the planning.